Even after almost 30 years on the market, the Ford Explorer remains a top pick in the sport utility vehicle (SUV) market. Multiple generations and upgrades have culminated in the 2017 Explorer, equipped with a variety of modern amenities and top-of-the-line safety systems. Here are just a few of the Explorer’s many high-tech features.
Designed for Excellence
The 2017 Explorer comes in five separate models and trim levels, each designed from the ground up to offer style and substance. Three rows of power-fold seating allow room for seven passengers or up to 81.7 cubic feet of cargo space. With the proper equipment, you can even tow up to 5,000 pounds to wherever your Explorer takes you.
- The Standard Explorer features a 3.5 liter Ti-VCT engine, six-speed automatic transmission and roof rack with EPA-estimated 24 highway miles per gallon.
- Explorer XLT model includes all of the basic features as well as LED fog lamps and signature lighting, plus upgraded Reverse Sensing safety systems.
- Enjoy a touch of modern luxury with the Limited model’s voice-activated navigation systems and perforated leather-trim seats.
- Explorer Sport boasts a sport-tune suspension system, 20-inch machined aluminum wheels and an available 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 engine.
- The ultimate Explorer Platinum includes the base Sport features as well as Nirvana leather seats with quilted insets, a 500 watt Sony audio system and twin-panel moonroof.
All 2017 Explorer models come standard with a 3.5-liter Ti-VCT (twin independent variable camshaft timing) V6 engine capable of delivering 290 horsepower and 255 lb.-ft. of torque with an EPA-estimated rating of 17 city or 24 highway miles per gallon. The available 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine comes standard on the Explorer Sport and Platinum models; combining turbocharge and direct injection technology, the EcoBoost engine generates 365 V6 horsepower and 350 lb.-ft. of torque. With the available Class III Trailer Tow Package, including an engine oil cooler, wiring harness and tow hitch, the Explorer makes towing easy.
Safety Through Technology
No matter where your adventures take you, today’s Explorer ensures you get there safely with a host of high-tech safety features.
- Available adaptive cruise control can be set to maintain a preset speed, then senses and slows with surrounding traffic.
- Forward collision warning with brake support will alert you if the vehicle senses a potential collision with the car in front of you, applying the brakes if you can’t react in time.
- Blind Spot Information System (BLIS) uses radar to identify vehicles entering your blind spot and alerts you with an indicator on the side mirror.
- With enhanced active park assist, your Explorer uses 12 ultrasonic sensors to scan for suitable parking spaces and assist backing into your spot. All you have to do is shift, accelerate and brake.
Shop New and Pre-Owned in New Jersey